Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Evil Genius


I mean, I knew Dr. Cox from Scrubs is a genius...but he's got relationships (friends and lovers) nailed. Listen up Britney...

"Relationships don't work they way they do on television and in the movies. Will they? Won't they? And then they finally do, and they're happy forever. Gimme a break. Nine out of ten of them end because they weren't right for each other to begin with, and half of the ones who get married get divorced anyway, and I'm telling you right now, through all this stuff I have not become a cynic. I haven't. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is mainly about pushing chocolate covered candies and, y'know, in some cultures, a chicken. You can call me a sucker, I don't care, because I do believe in it. Bottom line: it's couples who are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else, but the big difference is they don't let it take them down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship every time. If it's right, and they're real lucky, one of them will say something."

It's just that I get tired of being the one who stands up and fights. I think it's their turn. Or am I fighting for something that neither of us wants?

Preaching to the choir Cox-ie.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Actually, I think both people have to stand up for the relationship. That's what makes it a relationship. But yeah, I get what you're saying. Sometimes it would be nice to pull up a big fat armchair and sit sit sit.

Schrodinger's Kitten said...

It's not that I want to sit. It's more that they're in that fat armchair motionless watching Leave it to Beaver while I make lamb puffs in the kitchen while wearing my newest pink maribou slippers, ignored.

hows that for a friendship gone wrong analogy?

Hyperion said...

There are a lot of misnomers out there about LOVE from our Hollywood friends (as Hyperion shakes his huge fist in Sara's direction). For example, "Love means never having to say your're sorry."

Wronnnnnnnnnnnng.

If you love someone, you care about their feelings, and you say you're sorry (and mean it) all the time.

I could go on; maybe we should do a joint project and come with the conventions.

Anyway, as to this point, I think falling in love is an emotion, and it will ebb and flow during our lives. We may fall in love with someone else, as emotions are difficult to control.

But loving someone is a choice. Making a relationship work is a choice. It doesn't just happen, and if you're meant to be it won't just work out. The best of people are subject to temptation, and any relationship will wither on the vine without care.

Schrodinger's Kitten said...

I may LIVE in Hollywood, but I'm no believer in the Hollywood stereotype of romance.

And to agree with everything else...you can also choose to let friendship or romance wither as you're the only person doing the work.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Sara, I was in your shoes. As such, the relationship ended the minute I decided I was tired of standing. It gets tiring to be the only one standing up for the relationship, you deserve someone who will not only stand with you but will let you take the armchair when you need it.